Have you ever noticed that some holiday recipes are loaded with ingredients that add unwanted calories? What if we could have our same favorite recipes, but without all the extra sugar and fat?
That’s where the inspiration for the healthier green bean casserole recipe came from. This is a classic recipe with a healthier twist.
Try it, like it, and take it to your next holiday gathering!
Healthier Green Bean Casserole
- 2.5 lbs. green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion sliced thin
- 3 tbs. all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2.5 cups low fat milk
- 1.5 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
1. Pre heat oven to 425.
2. Toss green beans in bowl with1 tablespoon olive oil and divide into two baking sheets. Roast for 20-25 minutes until tender.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft. Add flour and salt. Add milk and keep stirring until sauce is thick (about 4 minutes).
4. Once green beans are done being roasted. Preheat oven to broil.
5. Transfer half green beans to baking sheet then cover with half the sauce. Layer other half of green beans and cover with the rest of the sauce.
6. Combine bread crumbs and remaining oil into a small bowl and sprinkle over green beans.
7. Place green beans in the oven on broil for 1-4 minutes, watch until breadcrumbs become brown at the top. Let sit for 10 minutes.
Check out more awesome recipes HERE
At Brickhouse, we offer personalized nutrition coaching where we guide you through a sustainable nutrition plan that is based on actionable steps and not fads. We offer a free intro where you get a customized fitness prescription based on your needs. Book a time below!
Enter your info to see available Free Intro times: